Sunday, June 28, 2009

"Quand on vit en Amerique, on marche avec le parapluie"


Well hello- this is elder winget. I'm having problems writing today because I'm halfway used to french and halfway used to english. But it's okay. I'll tell you what happened this week. So monday, you got my email, right? Yeah, we went to the beach and picked up lots of shells and starfish and stuff. Awesome. This week we got the most lessons that I've gotten so far in Vallee des Colons- 8 lessons. :) Not bad.. Nothing like the 18 I was getting in Paita, but good for now. We have some new amis- Gerome is doing really well- He asks really great questions and is progressing really well. He was at church the other day, and he says he's going to fast next week. :) it warms my heart. He asked us what a testimony is and wants one. We gave him a BOM, and he's already read 3 Nephi 11. I have no idea what his comprehension level is, but he seems excited about it, so I think he liked it. We went over and taught him how to tie a tie, and he remembered! He got ready all by himself and we walked to church. We talked to his mom and sister and niece and they all said they like us coming over because Gerome has changed already! I think it's amazing.. So we walked to church on Sunday and didn't it didn't it rain!! It POURED rain.. So we got out our flip flops, umbrellas and rain jackets... Then we walked. Apparently nobody in NC uses umbrellas.. He said we were sissies for using them. So I just used my rain jacket. I gave him one and he just swung it around and made up a little song.. Quand on vit en Amerique on marche avec le parapluie-- When we live in America, we walk with Umbrellas! It was silly.. He said it all with an americany accent- overaccenting the Rs. It was really silly. So we walked to church.. My shirt was completely dry thanks to rain jacket, but my pants were soaked through and through. My books and camera and stuff are all wrapped in plastic so those are fine, but then I look behind me and my pants were also COVERED in dirt and sand.. apparently my flip flops flipped it all up! Ha ha. So I was really wet and cold for church. But Gerome liked church, so it's worth it. He's doing really good. He left before the 3rd hour, but I can't blame him.. I don't want to stay for priesthood meeting either. But he's doing way good.
We also taught a little family named the Katrawas- They're just a small family, mom, dad, kid. The dad is - get this - a mix brazillian-lifouan! Random, eh? Sadly, he doesn't speak porkageez. (Collin's dad went to Brazil on his mission and speaks portugese) Apparently his dad was stationed in the military in French Guyana- Just north of Brazil- and they met and he took her back to Lifou. Anyway, so they were seeing the missionaries before, but for lots of random stuff, vacation, sickness, etc, it's been like 5 months since any missionaries have been over. But we finally got a rendezvous with them and they were there. They're way rad! It was a really cool lesson and I really strongly felt the spirit. I think they did too. At the beginning they said they really missed the missionaries and really want to get active in a church- they're protestant but not at all active. They said they're afraid to pray out loud- so we talked about prayer. It went really well. They are still really timid about praying and coming to church but I have a good feeling with them. They're going to do great. And what's better, they invited us for dinner this saturday. :D
We also saw a guy named Soane- He's got a drinking problem.. But he's really cool. He read our entire brochure and actually went through the questions on the back with his wife to check comprehension. I don't think he understands everything amazingly well, but he understands enough and he really likes it. On Wednesday he said that one day he wants to be baptized.. And that's just the 3rd lesson we've had with him. He's really great. I'm excited to teach him. We gave him a BOM.. Whenever I hand out a Livre de Mormon I am always happy and confident.. That book is a better missionary than I'll ever be.. If they just read it I'm always confident they'll have spiritual experiences. It's really a powerful book. :)
So this internet place is funny.. It's like a gaming.. place.. And we hear every single french swear word I know over and over.. Thankfully that means absolutely nothing to me, it just makes me laugh.
So other than that, not a whole lot has happened. I started writing letters to people.. I was about 16 letters behind on replies-- I hadn't written any letters for months. But I'm getting through the pile. Probably in 2 weeks I'll have replied to every letter I've recieved, so when I say the word could you post an annoucement? I want everyone to know I'm not ignoring them, just really lazy with writing. ( Consider this the announcement :) )

I'm glad you guys got to go to stake conference.. I really took for granted stuff like that. If there's one thing I've learned on my mission, it's not to take church stuff for granted. There are so many great things going on at church all the time, so many opporunities to feel the spirit and to grow.. I also took my family for granted. I need to spend more time with you guys. Let's hang out sometime, k? he he. Anyway, I encourage everyone to READ your scriptures and PRAY.. pay attention at church- we wouldn't believe how much work and thought go into the talks and programs.. They really are to help us. Don't take General Conference for granted- and the Ensign and New Era and Friend are amazing too. We always have stuff to do, but if we "Seek first the kingdom of God", He will help us make it work. We do have time to do all that Gospel stuff, and all the.. other stuff.

Some drunk guy stole a CLB ring from me.. He says he's giving it to his daughter. I hope he does. :P He just pulled it right off my finger and said give that to me! And I was like well.. Alright, sure. He said does that mean Warner Brothers? And I'm like no, it means Choisir le Bien! And he's like oh! I'll give that to my daughter. Ha ha.
I'm going to start teaching little kids more- They talk to us ALL the time.. there was this little girl that said she didn't know how to pray-- and we were in a super hurry so I said I'd teach her the next time we passed by. And then ironically our apointment fell through and we didn't see the little girl again. I should have taught her to pray. I'll do better next time. We gave some kids a Liahona the other day- they were bugging us at our house and we're like.. Here, take a church magazine. Maybe they'll read it. Who knows. :) I love little kids a ton-- I'm going to start doing more for them. I actually found a ton of CLB rings and Articles de Foi hanging out in our appartment-- I'll give them out.
Thanks for the pictures-- looks like you guys enjoyed your hike. :D I love you so much.. Have a great sunday!
Love,
Elder Winget

No comments:

Post a Comment